Saturday, February 27, 2016

Meat consumption is the number 1 cause of global pollution



Yes your read that right, eating meat and other animal products is the number 1 cause of global warming and pollution. The production of beef alone is more environmentally damaging than all cars, I’m not even kidding

Now, I’m not a Vegan and probably never will be due to cultural and social reasons, but I try to minimise eating animal foods as much as I can. I understand that it’s hard and can be scary at first, but with persistence you can also minimise how much animal products you eat on a daily. Eating steak at a restaurant once every few months is not a problem, however it starts becoming a problem when you start to consume meats every single day! 

There's a very good short documentary on YouTube showing you the effects of animal product consumption on the environment. Here it is below, make sure you switch on subtitles as the video is narrated in French. There is also another great documentary which is 45 minutes long but is a must watch for people who care about the environment as much as I do. I will link it at the bottom of this post.


I will be showing your some ways in which I have stopped eating animal products and also saved lots of money on!

Ditch the milk.

Not only is milk and other dairy products extremely acidic and can cause all sorts of skin and hormonal problems it is also chemically filled with nasty things such as growth hormones and antibiotics which only does more harm that good. Unless you get your milk from your own local farmer that you can trust, I would stop consuming it altogether. Below are some alternatives to milk that I use daily.



Coconut milk, although has more calories than regular milk, it also is much more creamier and tasty than it. It contains healthy fat and it very good for you. If you looking for alternative to full fat milk, coconut milk is the way to go. Just be sure not to drink too much as it does contain quite a few calories. Supermarkets also sell diluted coconut milk which is also a good alternative.

Almond milk is also another favourite of mine. It isn’t as creamy as coconut milk, but it does have a nice sweet taste for it. It’s extremely popular here in the UK and comes in many flavours including my favourite: Chocolate! For those who need something to satisfy their sweet tooth, I highly recommend you try a favoured Almond milk.

Other milk alternatives include rice milk, oat milk and soy milk. Soy milk is not as popular as the other milks but it is really tasty. People seem to steer away from soy products because of the myth that is causes your estrogen levels to go up, but this is just a myth and is debunked here.

In today's day and age there are literally hundreds of milk alternative brands with any flavour you can imagine. There really is no excuse. I personally prefer drinking almond and coconut milk, both of which can be bought from Tesco cheaply.



Try some meat alternatives

If you are a meat head and you need to consume meat everyday then I suggest you be careful as processed meats have recently been found out to becancerous if eaten too much . If your looking for a good meat alternative, tofu is a great choice, and with the right mix of ingredients and spices, you can make it taste like real meat.



You can also opt in for a quote based product. Tesco sell lots of quorn meats and to me they taste really good. I personally like the mince and chicken burgers but there are plenty of products to choose from. Take a look here.

Conclusion 

That’s just some ways I reduce my meat consumption, I suggest you also read more about how meat production is extremely bad for the environment and hopefully you can make a decision like me to cut back on meat and animal products.

People really need to ask themselves, do I really need to eat this much chicken or steak every night? And the answer is NO! You don’t. The reason why people feel that they need to eat so much meat is because they have been trained by a young age to do so. Think about it, 100 years ago humans never had any supermarkets and so had to do their own hunting and do you really think every single family hunted every day? No, of course not. Back then humans relied on fruits and vegetables and grains to keep them alive until their next hunt. Maybe it’s time we do the same too...

Thanks for reading, here is the video I mentioned earlier in the post





No comments:

Post a Comment